Strawberry picking has started in Ohio. My kids LOVED picking berries. It was like a little hunt as they searched for only the red ones. We tried to see who could find the smallest strawberry, largest strawberry and oddest shape.
Here are some u-pick locations in the Central Ohio area. Make sure you call ahead or visit their Facebook pages because fields have a tendency to be open sporadically due to the amount of berries available and the weather.
After your visit you will be thinking about all the different recipes you can make with strawberries. My kids wanted to make strawberry cake so I decided to “assemble” a cake that I have been making since I was 8 years old. It is super easy, only uses a few products and it tastes delicious.
- Use your freshly picked strawberries or buy the four ingredients shown in the picture below (Strawberries, Angel Food Cake, box of strawberry Jell-O and tub of Cool Whip).
- To flavor the cool whip I mix in a small box of strawberry Jell-O.
- Slice the Angel Food Cake in half horizontally.
- Use the strawberry flavored Jell-O to frost the bottom half of the cake.
- Layer some strawberries in the middle.
- Put the top part of the cake back on.
- Frost the rest of the cake and place more strawberries on the top.
Strawberry picking season doesn’t last too long so don’t wait to go. Not only will you have fun but you’ll also be supporting a local farmer. 🙂