When I think of the last day of school I can’t help but sing, “School’s Out For Summer” by Alice Cooper. It’s such an iconic song symbolizing the end of a school year and the beginning of a more relaxed schedule. Why not start Summer Vacation off right with a way to celebrate your child’s accomplishments and have fun?
Here are some exciting ways to kick start summer:
- Have a countdown to summer calendar.
- Take a photo of your child on their last day. Click Last Day Signs.pptx for printable signs.
- Leave a note on your child’s bathroom mirror before school, tucked in their lunch box or waiting somewhere for them when they arrive home.
- Send your child to school with a last day of school shirt. (You could even have their classmates autograph it, but you may want to check with their teacher first.)
- Bus Stop Greeting- have a treat to give them when they get off the bus such as a popsicle or cupcake.
- Arrange for a special visitor to come over such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, cousin, friend, neighbor.
- Throw a Bash! It could be simple or elaborate. Consider coordinating with neighbors or their classmates for a joint party.
- Theme Ideas:
- Ice Cream Shop- have different flavors of ice cream with toppings for them to create their own sundae.
- Camp Out- have a tent set up, roast marshmallows, grill out
- Water- fill a small pool, have squirt guns, run through the sprinkler, slip-n-slide
- Game Night- Twister, Tag, Bean Bag Toss, Pickle in the Middle
- Home Drive-in- watch a movie under the stars
- Minute to Win it Games
- Beach Party or Luau
- Theme Ideas:
- Welcome Home Banner- hang it on the garage, front porch, or have them run through it. Click Last Day posters.pptx for printable signs.
- Door Decorations- decorate your front door with things such as streamers or balloons.
- Chalk Sayings on the driveway or along the path on the way home.
- Dinner- cook their favorite meal or go out to dinner.
- Special Activity such as a park, miniature golf, bowling, etc.
- Decorate your car for pick up with balloons, streamers or the markers you can write on your car or fill your car with balloons. ** I have not tried this so test these items out first in an inconspicuous spot to make sure there is no damage to your car.**
- Jazz up their bike with streamers or other fun items and have a bike parade.
- Gift basket with summer related items or gear (bubbles, swim suit, goggles, sunscreen, sidewalk chalk, etc.) Click S’more.pptx for the s’more gift tags.
- Sayings: Fun in the Sun, That’s a Wrap, Goodbye ___th grader, Hello ___th grader!, O”fish”ally Summer, Too Cool for School, Have a Ball This Summer, I’m Looking Forward to Spending “S’More” Time With You
First impressions are everything so kickoff the summer with something that will make your kids smile!